13.12.14

The Wrong Why

Why did this have to happen to me?
Why did (insert name here) say that?
Why did that happen today?
WHY?
WHY?

We spend a lot of time asking that question of why. I know I have asked it many times myself. However, for whatever the reason, I feel this on my soul:
We can ask why. But we sometimes ask the wrong whys....

Why did my parents put themselves after us kids?
Why did my friend tell me how they felt and we find that we are closer through this pain?
Why did this good thing come to me?

Why did someone tell me that they love me? That He loves me like crazy, and willingly died for me?

This time of year is one of mixed emotions for me. I have never been too crazy about the commercialization of this holiday, and ever since accepting Christ, even more so. But I get the idea behind it, we show those who mean much to us that we care by giving them gifts. Personally I love to give my wife gifts. Were it feasible I would give her so much stuff it would boggle her mind.
But then...its not about presents.
Well, there is one gift that is available. But more on that in a minute.
I tend to be one who withdraws from this mode of holiday cheer. I can be kinda cynical about it, and many find that off putting. I sneer when I see Christmas themed decor in stores in August and September. I will be the first to admit to that. I detest that the day after Thanksgiving, where we 'give thanks' for all we have, turn and that evening mere hours later even after we give thanks...go spend money we don't have on things we don't need. All because its a few dollars less.

Why?
Why are we not content with what we have?
Why do we convince ourselves we need more things? No, mind you I do not find anything wrong with wanting nice things. let me clear this up: IT IS OK TO WANT NICE THINGS AND TO HAVE THEM AND USE THEM. However if you step on and over people to get that new game before they do, or want it so you can maintain an image to impress people...thats where we have a problem. Oh, whats the big deal you ask...So I want to be ahead in life,  and get another credit card to pay for those things. So what does that matter to you?
It shows that truly, deep down, you love things more than you should.

There is a fundamental issue when your love of the newest gadget has you standing in a line for 8 hours, just to be the first one to get it, while your wife sits at home, alone and wishing you were investing that time into your marriage.

There is a problem when you drain your savings to lease a brand new sports car that will look nice (until the next model comes out) when you have a working vehicle, and you now cannot pay of the bills in time.

There is something wrong when you spend every waking minute playing some online game and your family comes after your gaming group. (Disclaimer: I love to play some games myself. This is along the lines of where you spend more time on the game than work)

Why do do these things?
Why do we feel so empty, even after we make that 8 figure check, but the hot rod, lease that big house and fill it with crap that society tells us we need to be happy?
...Why doesn't it make us happy?
Because, as it were, its all meaningless.
MEANINGLESS.

What is the answer then?
There was a moment ago, I mentioned a gift,. and her eit is. The gift of grace. That is the greatest gift ever given.
It is said that we long to find meaning and fulfillment, and yet we turn to those things that will only leave us empty to find it. Much like a runner who is thirsty, we need to reach for that which will take care of thirst without betting it back down. They don't reach for a Coke. They don't want that which leaves their throats dry and yearning for more, they turn to the water that will replenish them when they need it. 

Jesus, is that water that will quench your thisrt.
In this exact way, He will give you what you are looking for: peace.
As he told the Samaritan woman in John 4
 "Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”" (John 4: 13-14)
Context: He went to a well, where a Samaritan woman came to draw water from a well. Jesus was thirsty, and  asked for a drink of water. And this woman said how being a Samaritan, and He a Jew, she was not one to bring him water. That He had nothing for her to draw water with. But she yearned for this living water.
Are we any different?
We buy that new truck, wanting its status to bring us happiness.
We go work that 80 hour week, to buy our families affection with trinkets that will fade.
We ask why we are so tired, sick and worn down.
We ask the wrong whys.
Why did Jesus love me?
Why did He die for me? Me?
Why can't i find my happiness here?

Ask Jesus into your life. Ask Him your questions.
He has the answers you seek.


No comments:

Post a Comment